Pickles and Weird Emails

While in New Mexico, my sister and I were discussing recipes. 
I told her I wanted to make pickles and she said she makes quick pickles. 
I forgot to get her recipe so I Googled it. 
 I had acquired some small cucumbers a while back from someone who had an abundance of them and knew I wanted to try this.
We like pickles in these here parts.


Quick Pickles

• 1 cup of distilled white vinegar
• 2 tbsp granulated sugar
• 4 tbsp water
• 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
• 1 tsp dry dill weed
• 2 cloves of garlic, lightly smashed
• 1 tsp red pepper flakes
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 cucumbers, cut into thick slices

I doubled this recipe and used 6 small cucumbers.

Begin by adding the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, garlic, and peppers to a sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring well to mix in the sugar.  Once boiling, remove from the heat, and add the dill weed. Let the pickling mixture completely cool. Add in the bay leaves.

To a clean mason jar, add the cut cucumbers, arranging them the best you can. Pour in the cooled mixture, cover, and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, however overnight is probably best. When you are ready, open and serve. Now you have pickles any day of the week, and is probably much more affordable than getting them at your local market.

These are good in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks, then they get pretty soft. They typically do not last that long in the refrigerator though.

I wish I could give credit to the blogger who posted this recipe but I don't remember who it was. 
(Bad Blogger Etiquette)

On a side note, my husband calls cucumbers "Home Wreckers". 
That's funny, unless my father is reading this.
Then, I have no idea what he is referring to.

Here's the other thing I wanted to talk to you about.
Well, Dad sent me this email today after reading that post.

Hi Kid: 
"Mondays with Max" reminds me of "Tuesdays with Morrie".  Remember that? 
Morrie was this old guy that was dieing & every Tuesday a young friend visited and wrote down his words of wisdom which turned into a book and made the young man rich. 
This made me wonder if asked, could I come up with any words of wisdom? 
The only thing that comes to mind is "use your turn signals"....Good luck on getting rich.
Love Ya...dad

And my sister always said I was adopted.
If that ain't proof, nothing is.

Holly
xx-oo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...