A life after Harry Potter


The Sydney Morning Herald has a nice and long interview with Emma Watson, in which she talks about the movies, future projects, her life and many more things; here are a few quotes:

Emma Watson is broadening her mind and her fashion sense and looking more womanly every day. She's now on the covers of magazines, appearing very grown up indeed and, as with most things, she is asserting a level of control.

"In interviews like this and when I'm working on Harry Potter I can dress myself, but the stylists on those shoots have a strong view of what they want you to look like," she says in London. "So sometimes it's a bit of a battle between what they want you to be and what I really am, so I'm like, 'Please take off the eyeliner', or 'Please don't put me in those awful shoes', or whatever it is."

Growing up in front of the cameras is never easy and being a part of one of the most successful franchises in film history has meant Watson's life is not entirely her own. Take her hair, which is blonde; she tried to get it back to its natural colour and today it's streaked.

"I don't know how much of it is natural any more but this is sort of naturally my colour," she says tugging at her long golden locks.

To her credit, Watson arrives at our interview unattended. While this might not seem out of the ordinary, for a young female star to arrive without a phalanx of publicists and image creators, make-up artists and general dogsbodies these days, is highly unusual.

Clearly today, though, Watson hankers to be a little provocative so I ask her about the prospect of kissing Grint, her suitor in the sixth film, Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince, which starts filming in September. Director David Yates describes it as being about sex, drugs and rock'n'roll.

"Kissing Rupert's going to be sooo awkward," Watson says, screwing up her cute rosy-cheeked face. "I'm trying not to think about it ... it's all part of the job I guess. Don't tell him I said that. Rupert's lovely. Girls would probably give their left arm to be in my position, so I'm certainly not complaining."

But he's a grunge-loving dude and simply not the kind of boy she's into.

"No, he's not my type," she says.

What is she looking for in a guy? "I love someone who can make me laugh ... who makes me feel I can be myself around them. Confidence is good; arrogance is not. Someone I can really talk to, who doesn't bore me, is genuine, just interesting. Someone I can relax with."

Watson says she wants to find something she really believes in. "What I will do next will be really anticipated and will be taken as the direction I'm going to go in. So I feel that pressure," she says.

Radcliffe has been quite clear about going against his Harry Potter image by making his West End debut in the critically lauded Equus, which made headlines because of his full-frontal nudity. The pressure for actresses to disrobe is of course far greater.

"If I feel that nudity is essential to the story I'll do it," says Watson. "But I'm not going to get my kit off for something that I don't really believe in."

Was she surprised by Radcliffe's disrobing? "Yes of course! I just sort of went, 'You're mad, absolutely mad'. But when I went to see it I was blown away."

As for the future, Watson is learning to drive. Eventually she says she would like to buy a house - and hang a lot of artwork on the walls.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...