David Yates Talks About Daniel and Emma


In a new interview by Time Out NY, David Yates, director of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix has some wonderful worlds for Emma and Dan

When you finally did get to the filming, what was it like working with Dan, Emma and Rupert. These are kids who’ve grown up in front of the world’s eyes and who’ve worked with several other directors within the same subject realm. What was your experience like working with them?

Dan is incredible because he’s so enthusiastic and has a tremedous work ethic. He really pushes himself and wants to be pushed, and he’s hugely ambitious to get it right. So I really pushed him in this film and I think he responded to that. I had a really exciting moment in our journey together in making the film. In the first couple of months [of shooting], I would say, “alright we have to go again. I don’t believe it, I don’t think you believe it, I want it to feel realer.” And then about two months into the six month shoot, instead of me saying I want to go again, Dan turned round to me and he said, “David, can I go again cause that didn’t feel real for me.” That was a really great moment because he started to push himself even more. He’s incredibly generous and lovely on the floor. He makes everybody feel comfortable and included. If we’d have visitors to the set, which we very often do because Harry Potter’s like this magnet for lots of people, he’s always very welcoming and very warm. And he’s very witty.

Emma is incredibly bright and intuitive, and in this film, I think, getting stronger and stronger as an actor. She can turn things on a sixpence and I loved that. She’d try an idea and then if you said to her, okay, can we try it like this now and just imagine it like this instead, and she would just be able to do that gear change incredibly easily and elegantly. She’s very thoughtful, intuitive and quite sensitive in the best possible way.


The way David talked about Dan shows how much admiration this guy has for Dan, not only as an actor but also as a person.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...