Jason and Shawn review: Centurion and The Disappearance of Alice Creed


Centurion

Jason: The latest effort from writer/director Neil Marshall highlights his talent for crafting exciting action and suspense sequences but lacks the tightness of script he showed in earlier efforts Dog Soldiers and The Descent. Events don't happen out of logic, but because the screenplay requires them to. As a result, Centurion feels contrived and isn't as much fun to watch as Marshall's earlier work. I hope he abandons his loftier ambitions and returns to his low budget roots, much like a certain Spider-Man director. A Bad rating from me.

Shawn: Why do you need to start such an exciting movie with a slow, slow, slow opening credit sequence? Whoa. Blood. What a great movie!  The story was awesome, and I went through most of the movie not really knowing who to cheer for. Actually, there wasn't really a side you could pick. This was a cool emotion, because the vengeance by either side was served up with a fantastic amount of blood. Ha ha! A Good review from this Basement dweller.




The Disappearance of Alice Creed


Shawn: Can't even describe it.  I watched it in 10-minute increments per day.  That was all I could take.  I made it through it all, but damn.  I've been subjected to stupid movies before, but not like this.Actually, the idea was cool, but the movie is terrible. There is no need to turn some ideas into movies.  The only emotion it evoked from me was hate.  I wasn't offended by it, I wasn't intrigued by it, and I most certainly was not entertained by it. Ugly!

Jason: A taut, intense and well-crafted little thriller with three characters and one location. Has all the trappings of a classic Alfred Hitchcock film and works them to great affect. The first 10 minutes are all action and no dialogue. The first 30 minutes are the film's best, but the rest is well worth the ride. Gemma Arterton deserves an award for delivering such a good performance despite being restrained for so much of the movie. Not something I could watch regularly, but still a Good review from yours truly. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...