Interview for L.A. Confidential

War in the Middle East reaches an absurdist fever pitch in War, Inc. Meet writers Jeremy Pikser and Mark Leyner, and the mastermind behind the whole shebang, John Cusack.
What can a movie star do when he’s profoundly pissed off about the sad state of politics? At 41, When it comes to avant-garde, politically charged movies like War, Inc., the last person you expect to find in the cast is Hilary Duff. At 14 she became an overnight teen sensation thanks to Disney’s superpopular television series Lizzie McGuire. Now 20, she’s been a model all-American teenage entrepreneur, with movies, four albums, and even a fashion line to her credit.
Like any teen star, Duff is eager to break the chains of her wholesome image, but unlike many, she wants to do it without sex scandals or drug binges. Playing the potty-mouthed Eastern European pop star Yonica Babiak in John Cusack’s provocative War, Inc. may be just the way to go about it.
Los Angeles Confidential caught up with Duff to talk about changing her image, filming in Bulgaria, and shoving a live scorpion down her pants.
LOS ANGELES CONFIDENTIAL: This movie is so different from what you’ve done before.
HILARY DUFF: I think that’s going to be a lot of people’s reaction.... Not really knowing what they’re getting into. It’s definitely interesting and creative.
LAC: How did you get involved with the film?
HD: I was writing my record, and taking time off from everything in my life to really focus on it. My agents knew that I was looking for different projects. They said, “Take a look at this script. It’s John Cusack, and we don’t know how you’re going to feel about it because you have to play a pop star.” I was like, “Ugh, I don’t even want it,” you know? I thought it was going to be the same old same old. Then I read it and I was like Oh my God and I freaked out. “I want it, I want it!” I called my agent, and the next thing I know, they said, “John wants to talk to you on the phone.” It all happened really fast, and two weeks later I was in Bulgaria filming!
LAC:What was it like in Bulgaria?
HD: Parts of it are really beautiful, but they’re in the middle of a rough time. There are still wild dogs running around the streets that could chase you and bite you at any second!
LAC: Because this movie is so different, how do you think your fans will react to it?
HD: That’s a good question. When I read the script I knew I was ready for it. So I was really excited. Then it all sets in: Oh God, I have to have this foul mouth, be this rude and crude girl who tries to be sexy but she’s so young and kind of vulgar. But I think I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t really care. In my personal life I’m not this crazy girl that gets all this tabloid attention, and the attention that I do get, it’s because I want it. I don’t try to go places to be photographed and stuff like that. I think I am kind of a good girl. I want my fans to still be there, and I do things for them. But I also want to grow, and for people to see me in a different way. I need to make myself happy. It’s a challenge.
LAC: John Cusack, Jeremy Pikser, and Mark Leyner wrote the movie together. They are known to be highly opinionated and have strong personalities. Were they daunting?
HD: They’re trouble together! But they’re such talented people. They’re so much older than me, you know? But we’d have dinner every night and play games. They totally took me in and took care of me.
LAC: How was working with Marisa Tomei?
HD: It was great. I didn’t have very many scenes with Marisa. She’s amazing. She brings so much to the table. She has a really unique process, and it’s so natural, and I learned a lot from watching her.
LAC: Your character speaks in a ridiculous dialect. Where did that come from?
HD: The first time I talked to John, he said, “You know, you have to have an accent.” The character is an Eastern European pop star. I didn’t even know where to begin. But the fun thing is, this place doesn’t even exist. Turaqistan is not a real country. So I played around and mixed a lot of things together! I talked in that accent as much as I could, even to my family and friends!
LAC: Was it intimidating to work with actors like John Cusack and Sir Ben Kingsley?
HD: I’m really not shy at all, and since I’ve been working for such a long time, I’ve learned that when it’s time to not be shy, I go into autopilot or something. Being there with all of them.... They didn’t know what to expect of me and I didn’t know what to expect of them. We became such good friends. And working with John, he gives you such creative control. There was a superfun creative energy going around.
LAC: Did you really drop a live scorpion down your pants in the movie?
HD: I really did. It was so scary. I grew up in Texas, and we had plenty of scorpions, but I never had to put one down my pants before. And my pants weren’t that baggy, so I couldn’t get any space. I did it a couple times with it going down my leg and it was terrifying. The little thing kept doing backbends because it obviously didn’t want to go in my pants, you know? Everyone on the set was cheering!
LAC: The guys from Jackass will be jealous.
HD: [laughs]We’ll have a little competition!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Se você pensa que existe algo mais que Hilary Duff do que Lizzie McGuire, pense de novo. Em War, Inc., ela está mostrando um lado mais sexy e até gerencia o canal para os caras do Jackass.
Quando isso vem à vanguarda, politicamente filmes como War, Inc., a última pessoa que você espera encontrar no elenco é Hilary Duff. Aos 14 anos, ela se tornou do dia pra noite uma sensação para os jovens, graças a super popular série da Disney Lizzie McGuire. Agora com 20 anos, ela tem sido um modelo de todo empresário jovem americano, com filmes, 4 álbuns e uma linha de roupas para seu crédito.
Como toda estrela jovem, Duff vive para quebrar as correntes de sua boa imagem, mas não como muitos, ela quer fazer isso sem escândalos relacionados à sexo ou drogas. Interpretando a arrogante pop star européia Yonica Babyyeah no provocativo War, Inc., de John Cusack, pode ser o caminho para isso.
LA Confidential se encontrou com Duff para falar sobre a mudança de sua imagem perante aos seus fãs, filmando na Bulgária e mostrando um escorpião vivo na sua calça.
Los Angeles Confidential: Este filme é tão diferente dos que você já fez.
Hilary Duff: Eu acho que vai haver muita reação das pessoas… Realmente não sei o que eles estão se metendo. É definitivamente interessante e criativo.
LAC: Como você se envolveu neste filme?
HD: Eu estava compondo meu disco e tirando um tempo de tudo da minha vida para se focar nisso. Meus agentes sabiam que eu estava à procura de novos projetos. Eles disseram: “Dê uma olhada no script. É de John Cusack,nós não sabemos como você vai se sentir sobre isso, porque você tem que interpretar uma pop star“. Eu estava como: “Ugh, eu nem quero isso, sabe?
Eu pensei que isso fosse sempre a mesma coisa. Daí, eu li o script, e eu estava tipo: “Oh meu Deus!” e pirei. “Eu quero isso, eu quero!“.
Eu ligue pro meu agente e depois eles disseram: “John quer falar com você no telefone“. Tudo aconteceu tão rápido e duas semanas depois eu estava na Bulgária filmando.
LAC: Como foi na Bulgaria?
HD: Partes de lá são realmente lindas, mas eles estão no meio de um tempo ruim. Eles ainda têm cachorros correndo pelas ruas que podem vir atrás de você e querer morder à qualquer segundo.
LAC: Por esse filme ser tão diferente, como você acha que seus fãs vão reagir?
HD: Essa é uma boa pergunta, quando eu li o script, eu sabia que eu estava pronta pra isso. Então eu estava muito empolgada, ai em todos os sets eu tinha que ser: Oh Deus, eu tenho que ter essa boca suja, ser essa garota arrogante e bruta, que tenta ser sexy, mas ela é tão nova que acaba sendo vulgar.
Mas eu acho que cheguei ao ponto que não me importo, na minha vida pessoal eu não sou essa garota doida que tem toda essa tensão de tablóides e a atenção que eu tenho é porque eu quero. Eu não tento ir em lugares só pra ser fotografada ou coisas do tipo. Eu acho que sou uma boa garota. Eu quero que meus fãs ainda estejam lá e eu faço coisas por eles, mas eu quero crescer também, e para que as pessoas me vejam de um jeito diferente. Eu preciso me fazer feliz, é um desafio.
LAC: John Cusack, Jeremy Pikser e Mark Leyner escreveram o filme juntos. Eles são conhecidos por terem opiniões e personalidades fortes. Eles estavam intimidados??
HD: Eles são uma encrenca juntos! Mas eles são tão talentosos, eles são tão mais velhos que eu sabe? mas nós jantamos juntos toda noite e jogamos jogos, eles tomaram conta de mim.
LAC: Como foi trabalhar com Marisa Tomei?
HD: Foi ótimo. Eu não tive muitas cenas com ela, ela é fantástica, ela traz “muita bagagem“, ela tem um processo único e é tão natural e eu aprendi muita coisa assistindo-a.
LAC: Seu personagem fala um sotaque horrível, de onde veio isso?
HD: A 1ª vez que falei com o John ele disse: “Você sabe que precisa ter um sotaque“. A personagem é uma pop star do leste da Europa. Eu não sabia nem por onde começar, mas o engraçado é que esse lugar nem existe. Turaqistan não é um país de verdade. Então eu juntei umas coisas aqui e ali. Eu conversei com esse sotaque o máximo possível, até com a minha família e meus amigos!
LAC: Foi intimidador trabalhar com atores como John Cusack e Sir Ben Kingsley?
HD: Eu realmente não sou nada tímida e desde quando eu venho trabalhando por um tempo longo eu aprendi que quando não é a hora de ser tímida, eu entro tipo no piloto automático. Estando lá com todos eles…Eles não sabiam o que esperar de mim e eu não sabia o que esperar deles, nos tornamos tão bons amigos, E trabalhando com o John, ele nos dá tanto controle criativo. Tivemos uma super divertida energia por lá.
LAC: Você realmente deixou um escorpião vivo descer pela suas calças?
HD: Sim, eu realmente fiz, foi tão assustador, eu cresci no Texas, e nós tínhamos bastante escorpiões por lá, mas eu nunca coloquei um nas minhas calças. E as minhas calças não eram tão frouxas, então não tinha tanto espaço, eu fiz isso alguma vezes descendo pela minha perna e foi pavoroso. A coisinha sempre queria ir ao contrário, porque não queria ir na minha calça, sabe? Todos no set estavam torcendo!
LAC: Os caras do jackass vão ficar com cíumes.
HD: (risos) Nós temos uma pequena concorrência.

Thanks UltimateHilary / Traduçao: PortalDuff

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...