Joe Bermudez Interview

It’s not like Joe Bermudez isn’t happy that his scorching remix of Hilary Duff’s “Reach Out” hit No. 1 on Billboard’s dance chart last week.
It’s just that the one-time production fee he earned is a lot less then getting a piece of the action from her new greatest hits disc, “Best of Hilary Duff.”
“The bad thing about re-mixing is you very rarely get any royalties,” said Bermudez, the 32-year-old Boston DJ/producer who has become one of Duff’s go-to remixers. “Which sucks, because I’ve had a couple big ones where I could be chilling out all the time.”
Bermudez, who does a regular Friday night mix show on Sirius XM satellite’s BPM, can afford to laugh now that he’s become a hot commodity.
His latest club smash with Duff follows his 2005 remix of her “Come Clean,” which rocketed up the dance charts, as did his house makeover of Kelly Clarkson’s “Behind These Hazel Eyes.” He recently finished remixes for Miley Cyrus’ brother’s band, Metro Station, and electro kings MSTRKRFT. Now he’s working on a remix for Beyonce, which he’ll follow with one for indie darlings Does It Offend You Yeah? And then there’s the launch of his new radio show in Asia and Africa, and a New Year’s Eve gig in Las Vegas spinning at the rooftop lounge Pure at Caesar’s Palace.
Herald: How did you first meet Hillary Duff?
Bermudez: I actually didn’t meet her until after I had completed the first remix. I had flown out to Los Angeles for a DJ gig and she happened to be performing the night after in Santa Barbara. They have really good smoothies up there, so I ended up staying a little longer so I could hang and see what she was all about.
What is it about your style and her style that mixes so well?
I love that I have the freedom to experiment and try new things with her. She’s been really supportive of that. I guess she knows there is no way I’m going to make her sound bad. She is the star. I just try to support that.
How do you approach making a remix for a teen pop star like Hilary?
I strip it down to the bare vocal necessities then start adding elements of my own and see where I can take it.
Who’re your favorite artists to work with?
Kelly Clarkson and Hilary Duff are easily my favorites. There has to be something in the Texas water because both of them are the sweetest, nicest people ever. I’ve done so much work for each of them that I am constantly referred to as their studio bitch???? by my friends.
What do you love about DJing in clubs?
The best part is the instant feedback. You can work all week long in the studio and think you have the best track ever, but when you put it on at a club, if people aren’t feeling it, you know within seconds as they all walk off the dance floor. It’s a great testing ground and helps me stay current-sounding.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joe Bermudez foi entrevistado e falou sobre sua relação com Hilary Duff na hora do trabalho: Não é que Joe não esteja contente com seu remix de "Reach Out" ser o 1º na Billboard Dance Chart na semana passada. É que ele não recebeu muitos ganhos do "Best Of". "É ruim porque é uma mistura" - disse, aos 32 anos de idade.
Herald: Como conheçou Hilary Duff?
Bermudez: Eu nunca tinha conhecido ela antes de terminar seu primeiro remix. Eu tinha ido até Los Angeles para um show de DJ e ela foi a estrela da noite. Ficou um pouco mais por lá, para saber do que tratava meu trabalho.
Herald: Como mistura seu estilo ao estilo dela?
Bermudez: O que me encanta é que tenho a liberdade de experimentar e provar coisas novas com ela. Ela me apoia. Ela deve saber que eu nunca faria mal algum. Ela é a estrela.
Herald: Como é fazer um remix de uma estrela pop adolescente como a Hilary?
Bermudez: Eu deixo só o vocal dela, então começo à adicionar alguns elementos.
Herald: Quem é seu artista favorito para trabalhar?
Bermudez: Kelly Clarskson e Hilary Duff são as favoritas. Deve ter alguma coisa no Texas porque ambas são doces e bonitas. Já fiz muito trabalhos para cada uma delas.
Traduçao e adaptaçao: Hilary-Brasil

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...