Dan's Two New Interviews


Two new very interesting interviews, I think by far the best interviews Dan has had since he started his career as an actor.

The New York Times has a very interesting interview with Dan, in ti he talks about Harry Potter, Equus in New York, Richard Griffith, untrue rumors and more...


Radcliffe, who turned 19 in July, was enjoying a much-needed break, one of the longest stretches of free time he has had since he starred in "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" at the age of 12 and became the world's best-known child actor. He was spending the time, it appeared, hanging out, obsessing about cricket and marshaling his views. He has a catholic array of deeply held opinions - on sloppy diction, on whining actors, on male competitiveness, on the changing-of-the-guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace, on the spelling of "aluminum" - and in several conversations over the summer he was more than happy to disseminate them. But although he says his chatty forthrightness makes him "an intensely annoying person," it comes across instead as an endearing sign of post-adolescent normality.

"If I went off and did another fantasy film, everyone would say, 'He's not even trying,' but if I went off and played a drug dealer, they'd say, 'God, he's trying way too hard,"' he said.

The play requires Radcliffe to appear full-frontally nude in a prolonged scene, but it did not bother him particularly, he said.

"It never really was an issue," he said. "I don't know why, it probably should have been. I am terribly self-conscious. Although I remember I did look at my dad once and say, 'Do you think I could wear pants?"' (No, he could not.)

...But like any show business figure in Britain he has to contend with the British news media and their fanciful stories.

"Do you want the Top 5?" he asked. He reeled them off. "One of them was how I had grown 2-foot in about five weeks," he said. "The next was that I had a stalker, which again was utter fiction. One of them was that I had asked two former SAS guards to walk my dogs," referring to an elite British military branch. "One of them was that I ordered a special beer that was brewed in a monastery in Belgium by monks. And I hate beer. And then, the best one was the fact that they said that I was having a sculpture made for the middle of my living room of me in 'Equus."'

Nude, of course.


Yahoo News has another interesting article about Dan, in it Dan talks about Equus, acting, Richard Griffiths and more...

"The brilliant thing about Alan is that you wouldn't notice him walking down the street," says Radcliffe. "He's kind of inconspicuous. He's like Alec Guinness in all those films where he just sort of becomes invisible as soon as he walks into a crowd."

Griffiths and Radcliffe are charter members of a mutual admiration society.

Says the older actor, a Tony winner for "The History Boys," of Radcliffe: "I'm really pleased with him. He's right at this awful stage of moving from being a child actor to no longer a child."

And Radcliffe returns the compliment: "To work with Richard on stage and in a much more intimate way than Vernon in the 'Potter' films is amazing. His intellect is huge. But ... he is not snobbish with the knowledge he has. He shares it and he wants to talk about it. I find him a real joy to be around. For me, it seemed I would have to be really moronic not to take the part."

"The stage is much more a test of nerve (than film) and seeing what you are made of," Radcliffe explains. "It would be very easy to do simple stuff. It doesn't really interest me that much. Even if I screw up, it's good to know what my limits are. It's good to get a sense of what I can and cannot do.

"Every actor has limits. It's sort of testing out where they are. Luckily, I haven't found them yet. I suppose the thing I've learned is that I think I am more capable than I thought I was,"
he says with a laugh.

"I am a lot more confident about (my voice) being heard now. In London, that was more of a worry. Now there's room for me to do ... to play around with the words and put more color into them, sort of a musicality, to try and give every word its individual identity, I suppose.

"Maybe I am more relaxed this time. I think it's just the fact that I have grown up in the year and a half since we (last) did it," he says. "The other night I got a line wrong, which, for me, was like a dagger because I don't like doing it."

"Equus"
is an emotional, disturbing play, a mystery of sorts that steadily builds to a surprising climax. How does Radcliffe unwind from all that intensity?

"I go home and watch The History Channel, which is what I have been doing the last few nights," Radcliffe says with a laugh. That's after he has waded through crowds waiting at the Broadhurst stage door for an autograph or a cell-phone photo op. It's a group Radcliffe is very much aware of.

"I am sure I will be knackered but I adore filming on 'Potter,'" he says. "I can't wait to get back there."

"In 10 years time, I've no clue where I'll be," Radcliffe says. "Hopefully, still acting. If I'm still acting and still enjoying it, I will be happy. I feel pretty certain that will be the case."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...