RANT: The Death of Heroes

The show that made a phenomena of the phrase ''save the cheerleader, save the world'' is Dead. NBC has cancelled Heroes.

And now my TV world has come crashing down.

This news was somewhat expected, but still, it felt as if I'd been punched in the stomach. I've never cried over the cancellation of a TV show before: I did as soon as I learned NBC had cancelled it. Right now, writing this, I have tears still in my eyes.

I was on twitter immediately. Sharing my pain with so many of my peers and friends, people I've met through our mutual love of Heroes. I will forever be grateful for the wonderful friends I've made because of it. The anguish, the sadness, and the anger were palpable.

Twitter was buzzing with the words ''NBC cancels Heroes.'' It trended worldwide, in first place, for a long time all that evening.

Despite it's faults, I loved Heroes with a passion. I loved the idea of it, if not always its execution. I loved the characters and the actors who embodied them. It was a show that was different from those endless procedural, crime scene, medical, lawyer shows we are being fed ad-nausea by the main tv networks.

What was beautiful with Heroes was that everyone had his/her favourite character. Mine was Sylar. Bad boy Sylar. Who turned good towards the end of season 4. What stories could have been told! All gone now. I will miss Hiro and Ando, Peter, Nathan, Matt, Suresh, Noah (a.k.a HRG), Claire, Traci, Micah and so many others! Especially Mr. Muggles - seriously, who isn't going to miss that dog?


NBC said they would ''reward'' fans with a 2 hour or 4 hour special event for mid-season. Do I believe it? I don't know. Networks make these bold statements when they want the fans of a show they just cancelled to shut up. For example, HBO's Deadwood. Where's the promised conclusion that was supposed to follow the cancelled show after it's third season? Has it materialized yet? No. Nope. Nothing. Nyet.

I have lost faith in NBC anyways. I also mourn the end of original programming. I feel that now, the only way for genre shows to survive and thrive is on those speciality channels such as HBO, SyFy, Showtime or Starz. I'm hoping SyFy would look Heroes' way and say ''that's a show for us, let's pick it up.''

I feel so much for the actors and the many people that worked behind the scenes at Heroes. I'm thinking about prop master James Clarke (@JamesProps) and my friend, Heroes Key Makeup artist Wendi Lynn Allison (@wendilynnmakeup), amongst many others. These people opened themselves to us. They let us into the big Heroes family. Because that's what this show was all about: family. People that worked together and loved each other. It's very rare.

(Which reminds me right now of Jack Coleman's blog about filming Heroes. That man made me laugh like there was no tomorrow. You should go read his entries here.)

We love them and wish them the best.

Feel free to talk about Heroes, it's characters, and why you loved the show.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...